Rev. Kamal Weerakoon
Kamal was born in Sri Lanka, grew up in Australia, is a minister of the Presbyterian Church (which originated in Scotland), and is currently studying a PhD in multicultural ministry through Morling College. He is also the youth & young adults minister at Epping Presbyterian Church, and a staffworker with Macquarie University Christian Union (an affiliate of the AFES campus ministry). His ministry experience includes a church in Sydney’s outer west, reaching people of lower socio-economic background; a church in inner-city Sydney, seeking to reach hip young professionals; and churches ministering specifically to people of Arabic, Indian, and Sri Lankan background. The draft title for his PhD dissertation is ‘Towards an Evangelical Theology of Cultural Hybridity’.
In addition to multicultural ministry, Kamal also has an interest in theological ethics, especially sexuality and gender identity. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church’s Gospel, Society and Culture committee (http://gsandc.org.au/). He has presented academic papers on Biblical, evangelical sexuality in forums as diverse as the Australian Society of Sex Educators, Researchers and Therapists (ASSERT), the World Association for Sexual Health (WAS), the Australia-New Zealand Association of Theological Schools (ANZATS) and Christ College Presbyterian Theological Centre.
- ‘Is There a ‘Right’ to Sexual Fulfilment?’ Case Newsletter, forthcoming, 2016
- ‘Towards an Evangelical Sexual Anthropology and Ethic’, Zadok Perspectives, Spring 2015: 2-15.
- ‘Evangelical Intercultural Identity: A New Resource for Twenty-First Century Mission?’, Colloquium 47/1 (2015): 45-61.
- With Sheryl Sarkoezy: ‘Christ Among the ‘Gods’ – Responding to Religious Plurality Today’, GS&C Resource Paper 5, 2015:
- With Sheryl Sarkoezy: ‘Knocking on Australia’s Door – Christian Thinking about Asylum Seekers and Refugees’, GS&C Resource Paper 4, March 2014:http://gsandc.org.au/images/pdfs/Knocking%20on%20Australia_s%20Door.pdf
- ‘Christianity in Sri Lanka: how we can learn from and support the church there’, Lausanne Global Analysis 3, 2, April 2014.
- With Patricia Weerakoon: ‘Sexuality & Self Identity’, CASE Newsletter, No. 35, 2013: 8-14.
- ‘Sexualisation’, GS&C Resource Paper 3,http://gsandc.org.au/images/pdfs/Sexualisation_Resource_paper.pdf, July 2013.
- ‘The Role of the PFA in Shaping the Character of the Presbyterian Church in NSW post-1977’, Church Heritage: The Historical Journal of the Uniting Church in Australia (NSW), Vol 15 No. 4, 2008: 244-258.
- ‘Gospel, Community and the Cyberchurch of God’, CASE Newsletter, No. 15, 2008: 20-21, 31.
- ‘The Ways of Counter-Judgment: Civil Disobedience and Revolution as Potential Testimony to Christ’, CASE Newsletter, No. 16, 2008: 22-26.